Saturday, February 10, 2007

And Now, a Spectacular Guest Post from SushiBoy...

The following is a spectacular guest post by my friend Sushiboy about Utah. He definitely outdid himself! Big hug sent his way...

__________________________

Utah:
As seen through the eyes of Sushiboy



Back in November the World Famous Zed asked me (the not so famous Sushiboy) to write a guest post about Utah, my home state. So in typical Sushiboy fashion, I have it done 3 months later.

Now as far as states go, Utah is often seen as the red-headed step child; awkward, misunderstood and a little weird. The 2002 Winter Olympics did wonders for the state's image. I still think, by and large, Utah is misunderstood. Hopefully if I show you a little of what Utah is, it will also become easy to see what Utah isn't.

Utah is a Ute word that means, Top of the Mountains. I, personally, don't know of a state that is named more aptly than Utah. Utah is beautiful! Utah has almost every type of terrain you can think of: dry deserts, mountain peaks, green forests, fertile plains, rolling hills, salty lakes, steep canyons, white water rivers, lofty plateaus, sculpted rock formations, and scenic mountain valleys. The list could go on an on. My favorite feature of Utah, and one of the most commented on by its visitors, is the mountains. Most anyplace in Utah will offer breathtaking view of a mountain. Whether one is towering overhead, or on the horizon seeming to float over the dusty desert air. Mountains dominate Utah's landscape and offer vista's second to none. When writing this post, I had a hard time narrowing down the pictures I would include with it. I chose the one to the right above because it is my backyard. I chose it because this is the kind of scenery that Utahans, and our visitors, enjoy daily.

There is a lot of things to do in Utah. As I am writing this I am watching the snow drift slowly down outside my window, Utah powder, the best snow on earth! The biggest draw of tourism to the state is the skiing (and snowboarding). I really enjoy the slopes of Utah when I have money and time. There is a lot more to see the slopes. There is excellent mountain biking, hiking, camping, golfing, hunting and 4 wheeling to be found all over the state. In addition to outdoor activities we have plenty to see outside of the elements. Superwoman and I go ballroom dancing every Friday, there is a excellent Symphony, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Temple Square, the Utah Jazz, soccer, arena football, hockey, baseball and great venues for concerts and other entertainment such as the USANA Ampitheatre, the Energy Solutions Arena and the E-Center. As far as food goes you can get anything you want. Due to the amount of missionaries the LDS church sends out, Utah is a hotbed of ethnic cuisine. My favorite is sushi, no surprise there, but you can find food of any ethnicity from 5 stars all the way down to ethnic home cooking. One of our (Superwoman and I) favorite things to do is trying new types of food (whether by dining out or cooking it ourselves).

Mormons makeup 75% of the states population. Most of the misconceptions about Utah spawn from the rumors that float around about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons). Despite what you may of heard, Mormons are pretty normal. Mormons don't shun technology, cars or other modern conveniences. Mormons don't have 50 wives. Mormons are pretty much like any church congregation, a few of us are overzealous, a few judgemental self-righteous punks, but most of us are normal people trying to follow and serve Christ. My purpose in writing is not to promote my faith, but, I would like to impress upon Zed's readers that Mormons (and Utah) are not as weird as we are often made out to be. If you are interested in knowing the facts from the stereotypes, PBS will be airing what looks to be an objective look at the LDS faith, where many of the positive and the negative aspects of the faith will be explored.

Some famous Utahans (not necessarily Mormons): Steve Young (football), The Osmonds (singers/entertainers), Rosanne Barr (comedian/actress), Maude Adams(actor), Shawn Bradley(Basketball), Wilford Brimley(actor), J. Moses Browning(Gunsmith), Tom Chambers (basketball), Butch Cassidy (outlaw), Steven R. Covey (self-help guru), Merlin Olsen (football), SHeDaisy (Country Music Kassidy, Kelsi and Kristyn Olsen), Gene Fullmer (boxer, a relative of Superwoman's), Philo T. Farnsworth (inventor of TV), Jake Garn (Senator Astronaut) and many others.

So this is Utah, the Top of the Mountains, place of beauty and my home! I love it here. I hope you enjoyed our trip around the state together. I'd like to thank Zed for letting me share a little bit about my home. If you have any questions or remarks please share them in the comments. That's it from me, thanks for reading!

-Sushiboy

9 Comments:

Blogger Zed said...

Just when I had given up, along came you're guest post. It's gorgeous, Sushiboy! Great job!!

Feb 10, 2007, 1:20:00 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

Great post! Utah looks beautiful! I need to visit it sometime.

Most people are surprised to hear that a farmboy from Utah invented TV. The Philo Farnsworth story is quite interesting. And I know I'll be watching for the PBS special.

Feb 10, 2007, 9:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, beautiful place. if you buy me and my husband a home we can move there sushiboy. what do ya say? shall we call the movers? lol

enjoy a blessed life at the top of the mountains...it's another world entirely.

Feb 10, 2007, 2:01:00 PM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

Zed- Thanks, sorry it took me 3+ months.

Nobody- Yes come on out we would love to show ya around.

Jane- Despite the fact that the housing market is still growing like mad, housing is affordable comapared to the Coasts. Because of that a lot of Californians are buying houses here at inflated prices because they seem cheap compared to California prices. I hope that doesn't last too much longer. I'll start looking for a house for ya when I get the check in the mail :).

Feb 10, 2007, 4:37:00 PM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

What a view from the backyard. Nice post Sushi.

Feb 10, 2007, 4:45:00 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Excellent post SushiBoy. Utah certainly has great scenery.

Feb 10, 2007, 8:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you finally took a break from WOW?? LOL!

I've been through Utah and it is gorgeous. Although I usually get lost going through Salt Lake City because the freeway changes a billion times. Are there any dangerous spots I should try to avoid when I am lost?

Feb 12, 2007, 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Great JOb!

I want to go to moab...!

Feb 12, 2007, 2:58:00 PM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

Scarlet&Sans- Thanks guys.

Amy- Yah, I got over the initial WoW re-addiction pretty quick. (I'm only 3 levels past the old level cap) If you are travelling on I-80 the Salt Lake Interchange can be pretty confusing. Unfortunately the rougher neighborhoods are right around that area. If you get lost, go east until things don't look like a ghetto. It is also easier to get back on I-80 if you are on the East side of town.

Jen- I've never actually been to Moab. Its about a 3 hour drive for me. I've always lived close to canyons with lots of good trails in them. Usually about a 5 minute drive ,or I can actually ride my bike to the trail head if I'm feeling ambitious.

Feb 12, 2007, 7:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home