Monday, January 29, 2007

Let It Snow Again; Did the Airlines Call?; The Power of No

Report for January 29, 2007

In the northeast, we have been so devoid of snow this winter that yesterday, when 1/4 to 1/2 inch of snow fell after dark, my neighborhood came alive. Children attempted to sled down nonexistent slopes; grownups built miniature snowpersons, 1/4 the size that would normally be constructed in a "good" snowfall. Doesn't matter--it snowed!!

In the city, snow usually brings about slippery-street-and-road fear, and dread of shoveling walkways and stairs. We ponder the hours required to extract our cars from "little Matterhorns." And we steel ourselves to deal with the ugly black lumps that develop after snow has sat on the ground for more than 3 days.

But this time, after such a mild fall and winter--one in which we actually LONGED for bad weather--snow brought great joy to many. May it snow again 1/2 inch tonight, and tomorrow, and the day after that.
_____________________

Has anyone noticed that I still haven't gone to Florida. My fingers don't seem to be dialing the telephone to call an airline. I HATE FLYING. Why does Florida have to be so far away that I need to FLY to it? Last time I took a train, the sleeper car went on fire. I'd drive but that would take a week roundtrip, and I don't have enough time to do that. ... Maybe the airlines can call ME?
_____________________

Friends are grandparents to a little boy who is 3 and who is heavily into using the word "no." All he says is "no" this, "no" that. When they tried to feed him, he shouted: "No, I don't want any!! Noooooooooo!!!!" They begged him to eat. "No!" They tried to sweet-talk him into eating. "No!" They tried to play mind games with him, but he still wouldn't eat. "No!!!"

This child reminded me of ME as a child. I remember my father heading a spoon toward my mouth, saying, "Have one little spoonful for Aunt Julie. Go on. Just one." And I'd cry and scream and carry on, shouting "No!" until he proffered: "Do you want to make Aunt Julie sad?" I didn't want to make Aunt Julie sad, so I'd gag my way through another spoonful to make sure Aunt Julie was happy.

Having been such a poor eater in my childhood, I thought I understood this little boy, and I said to his grandparents, "Let me talk to him for a minute alone." When they left the room, I turned to this child and said, "Eddie, have just one little bite. Just one, and if you don't like it, you don't have to eat any more of it. But you have to at least try it. You know why? Because we all love you and we'll be sad if you don't eat. You don't want to make your grandma and grampa sad, do you? Or me, you don't want to make me sad, do you? Just one little spoonful..."

And the little boy looked me straight in the eye shouted, "No! No! No!" and he got up and ran out of the room.

I have such a way with children...
_____________________

I would write more, but the snow is almost all melted and I need to go touch it. I'll be back later!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a baby my son used to say "no" so much it became a big game, and we'd just laugh and say "no" right back at him. it sort of became a game. the biggest thing was we decided not to make a big scene about his not eating, figuring he'd eat when he was hungry. that seemed to work. at least we weren't in a constant battle with him.

our son didn't die from starvation and eventually when he was hungry he'd ask for something he WANTED to eat. worked out fine. best part, he made it to his mid-20s and now his wife has to deal with his fussiness, not us. lol

*********
i was sooooooo happy about the snow. most of it's gone now, but it was great while it lasted. what the heck happened this winter? spring is coming in a few weeks sheesh

Jan 29, 2007, 3:18:00 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I think it is going to snow more tonight.

As for the little boy, he will eat when he wants to.

And the airlines: Order online, girl! I use Orbitz.

Jan 29, 2007, 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Lynda, it's not that I'm incapable of dialing, it's that I don't want to because I hate to fly.

The flight I took last year was just one of a dozen near misses for flights I've been in. I was in a window seat and the plane was in a circling holding pattern over Delaware. I'm looking DOWN. Sudden a small private jet comes flying UP through the clouds directly at us, so closely I could see the pilot's face. He quickly veered off to his left and went around the back of our plane, so closely I'm surprised he wasn't knocked out of the sky from our exhaust alone. Did I mention I hate to fly??? I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT. BOO FLYING. :)

That said, I'll consider booking on line. :)

Jan 29, 2007, 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

I hear you on the flying thing. One time we flew back from Montreal to Toronto (about a 30 second flight) and it became an ordeal. After that, I was not happy to fly. (Have I told you that's our bloody hobby, taking trips where you have to fly to?!)

Anyway, one flight I was talking to an attendant who helped me by saying, basically, keep an eye on the staff, if they're not freaking out, you're fine. And even if they're tied into their little seats, it's still nothing to worry about. Only worry once you've actually crashed, and since that happens so rarely, just try and stay cool. She also said that passengers willpower and squeezing of the armrests doesn't affect the pilot's skill.

Sorry, so long winded. For me, that helped a lot. And since I love going to new places, I now have to treat the plane as a bus. It's just a way to get me there. As soon as we get our seats (always an aisle, can't look out the window!), I take off my shoes, put on my earplugs, assemble all snacks and beverages, crossword puzzle books, regular books, magazines, pillow and blanket from home, and end up falling asleep in about 7 minutes.

Does this help you at all? When the baby is born, it'll be a pain for you to drive up here, and much faster to fly, so that's something to aim for...Florida, bah, you can go there any time!

[I totally feel your pain and in no way mean to dismiss your feelings at all! :) ]

Jan 29, 2007, 5:12:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Tanya, there have been just too many close calls. Once we were flying up the Hudson River and the pilot said "Look out to the left and you'll see the SST (supersonic transport)." Suddenly we went into a near tailspin heading straight down toward the river... Meanwhile, all the overheads opened and things came flying out, food trays were all over the place (ON people, into the aisles, etc. etc.) and we were throw about in our seats. When the pilot could speak again he said, "I'm so sorry folks. We got just a little too close to the SST. I apologize." Lovely.

Or how about the time we went down the runway to take off, were almost aloft, and the alternator cracked??
We bounced on the pavement, came to a screeching halt and spun, and the pilot said, "Well, it was a good thing we hadn't taken off when THAT happened." We were towed off the runway. I could go on and on.

But I'll try to get it together when the baby comes, or you're going to have to send Alexendre down here by train. Food's good on trains, he'll like it.

Mr. Fab, I would love to, but my 88-year-old mother's expecting me (and I prefer she not "beat" me if I don't show up). She's a tough 88 year old. But I sure would love to meet you and Mrs. Fab someday. I've never been to Disney World. We could always meet there.

Jan 29, 2007, 7:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was a beautiful post.

Snow *heavy sigh*, I miss it terribly. I love when it snows, just hate when it's over a foot. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, snow.

and yes, you do have a way with children. it's amazing, really!

Jan 29, 2007, 10:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, unfortunately, the things that happen to you on all these flights don't happen to us normal people.

just sayin............

I've NEVER had any of those things happen. Maybe I'm just a source of good luck??

Jan 29, 2007, 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I hate snow.

I dont mind flying but I hate airports and layovers and delays.

My daughter ate nothing but peanut butter sandwhiches one year, but she was growing and healthy so I didnt push the issue. My son frankly has never stopped eating from the time he was born!

Jan 30, 2007, 5:59:00 AM  
Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

Zed, I was going to say what Teri said....that maybe it's YOU what is the common denominator in all these crummy flights. This means that I won't be flying with you. I'll meet you at the destination but I don't want your bad mojo around me!

:)

Jan 30, 2007, 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Mel, I'm with you: flying stinks.

Tanya, I don't have bad mojo! haha! Continental Airlines has bad mojo.

Jan 30, 2007, 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

We FINALLY have a decent amount of snow here after a pretty green January. Usually it's white here from end of November until April. I came back to find an icicle on my house about ten feet long!

Jan 31, 2007, 9:58:00 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

I want snow, too, but all we get is the subzero temperatures.

My granddaughter doesn't eat, either. I find that the less deal we make of it, the more likely she is to eat. We put it out, we all gather at the table and she comes to see what the deal is. Eventually, she eats a bite or two.

Feb 3, 2007, 7:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home