Tuesday, January 16, 2007

There It Goes Again

I was in my office on Saturday night, sitting in a swivel chair; I reached behind me to pull something heavy toward me and the chair I was sitting in tipped to the right, throwing me forward. Oops.

I hit my head on the edge of the filing cabinet (yeck! blood!), my right knee fell downward onto the sharp edge of a steel "box" to my right (steel does not bend), and I found myself eventually upside down in a pile on the floor with a large, heavy chair hanging over me and pinning me down. The fun never stops around here. :)

As I lay on the floor I thought this is the most ridiculous thing that's happened to me in a very long time. At first I laughed to myself. Then when the pain of my knee sunk in, I cried. Then when I saw blood on my head, I panicked. I still had to figure out how to get up and out from that mess and get myself up off the floor considering the pain I was experiencing in my knee.

Well, I eventually did get up (as Frankie and Johnny stared from a safe distance with that dumb blank stare that cats are so good at), and I took care of the blood, put an ice pack on my head and another on my knee. But now I think I've taken about 10 steps backwards in mobility. Back to PT! Boo...not fair!

Oh, and the TV--the one on top of the cabinet I struck my head on--broke and I had to replace it last night. $$$ out the window (but it's LCD and it's HD-ready, so that's a good thing).

So I'm grumpy and achy today still. And I might even be grumpy again tomorrow (but I'm hoping the pain goes away by then).

Sorry you have such a grumpy friend. Life is good; it just a few minor sidetrips of not good.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you poor thing.

I've fallen out of my chair a couple of times ... but sideways. So I had the arms prevent any serious damage (except to my ribs, from the arms, go figure).

You didn't black out, did you?

Don't be grumpy. Play with Frankie and Johnny, they'll cheer you up!

Jan 16, 2007, 12:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you are so accident prone.

I'm always careful with the desk chair, one wrong move and.....oh, you get the idea.

Jan 16, 2007, 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

We may have to chip in and get you one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/t462b

Jan 16, 2007, 1:07:00 PM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

Hope you regain your mobility capacity soon!

Jan 16, 2007, 1:41:00 PM  
Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

Okay, you're not going to be allowed to hold the baby unless you're sitting down and wrapped up a futon.

And you know the cats were laughing at you, right?

Jan 16, 2007, 2:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing Frankie & Johnnie were there to call 911 if need be.

Jan 16, 2007, 2:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeowch! I'm glad you're alright, Zed.

I agree with Fab... padded office. I think you need one for "other" reasons, though.

Jan 16, 2007, 7:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

padded office.. and maybe a helmet

glad you made it
out of there alive!

=)

Jan 16, 2007, 7:37:00 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

ha!!! Remember in the Movie Garden State where Natalie Portman was required to wear a helment to work???
Your accident made me think of that!

I am glad you are ok though other then the setback. You know how I worry about you!

Jan 16, 2007, 7:42:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Java, I didn't black out, but all I could do was lay there, first laughing, then crying, as F&J stared at me and then each other, thinking "What the $%#@% is wrong with her NOW???" ... Oh, and Java, you'd better not be smokin' missy! :)

Teri, it's pathetic. I'm always rushing, so I bump into things, spill things, cut myself, etc. I agree with Mr. Fab and Amy (below). I need a padded office for the protection of myself and everyone else around me.

Chris, funny!! Is that the Hoff? Hysterical!

Thanks, Sushiboy! I'll bet your kids don't have as many falls as I do. :)

Tanya, if the baby comes here for babysitting, I think I'll have Frankie & Johnny tend to her/him as babysitters. They almost NEVER have accidents and are less nuts than me.

Mel and Jen, the helmet idea is a good one--but I don't want just any helmet. I want one in bright red with a black pinstripe or two. I MUST look in style.

Thanks for worrying about me Mel--thanks to all of you.

I'll try to be less pathetic--but I am, after all is said and done--president of the Club of the Pathetic.

Jan 16, 2007, 9:44:00 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Poor you!

Bad bad chair!!

Jan 17, 2007, 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks Tina. I've had a little chat with the chair since then and I'm certain it will think twice before it pulls a stunt like this again. :)

Jan 18, 2007, 12:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow that totally sounds like something I'd do! I hope you've recovered!

I thought I was the super klutz?

Jan 21, 2007, 6:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home