Thursday, December 21, 2006

Lost and Found

I went to another birthday dinner with old friends last night, and on the way there realized my left ear had a full earring attached to it and my right ear had only ... my ear. I had lost one of my gold, diamond, and amethyst earrings. Drat!

Having eaten way too much at dinner, and having shopped my brains out all afternoon, I was exhausted and decided to take a short nap when I got home from dinner. On rising, I went to the bathroom. Okay extremely delicate souls should depart now... Oh, that's right, I don't KNOW any extremely delicate souls. I sat down on the john and stared blankly forward. Then my cat Johnny came in and wanted to be petted. Then Frankie came in too and sat and stared at me. What fun! A good time was had by all.

Placed about 6 inches off to the left and in front of me was one of the cats' litterboxes. Johnny kept butting his head against it, and Frankie scratched madly at the outside surface of it. They were making such a big deal over the litterbox that I actually focused long enough to look at it. IT WAS THEN THAT I SAW IT! (What drama!) Sitting in the furthest back corner of the somewhat "littered" litterbox was some small, small object slightly rearing its head by about 1/16th of an inch. Nah, couldn't be...

Johnny and Frankie kept steering my attention to the litterbox. I looked again, more closely, and it was then that I saw the slightest glitter of a small diamond surrounded by burnished gold peaking its head out of the blue and white CatStep litter. It was my lost earring!!

That litter was about to be dumped tonight and replaced with new litter. And my beautiful earring was about to be thrown in the garbage with it. But my genius should-be-award-winning cats made such a big stink over their litterbox, they may as well have been tap-dancing or doing acrobatic tumbling and pointing to get my attention. Are they not the smartest cats in the entire world? YES, THEY ARE!

I fished the earring out of the litter and washed it with every disinfectant known to humankind. It's back in my ear, where it belongs. And it hardly smells like cat poop at all. :)

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

one day you're going to be sitting in a meeting with execs at one of the publishing companies you work for and you'll begin sniffing, thinking "what's that cat pee i smell?" it'll be you. lol. how about throwing the earring in boiling water? would that work?

glad you got your earring back, zed.

Dec 21, 2006, 1:02:00 AM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

It's not that the cats are "smart", they just wanted to use the john without some gold and jewel encrusted litter stabbing them in the butt!!

Its bad enough that cats think the sun shines out their......

lol

Dec 21, 2006, 4:54:00 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

The cats probably put it there LOL! Just to watch you react. Stupid human tricks.

Dec 21, 2006, 5:44:00 AM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

I love the wave of relief that rushes over you when you find something you'd thought was lost.

Good kitties!

Dec 21, 2006, 9:06:00 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

HAhHAhAa

Travis would have
taken it out of the
litter and washed it
for me

just sayin'

Dec 21, 2006, 9:31:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

jane, I think if I boil the earring, the stones could fall out. Nope, it's staying the way it is and the world will have to deal with it and any residual "anything". :)

Scarlet, OF COURSE they're smart! They're Frankie & Johnny! I have IQ test results to prove it. Johnny's IQ is 147 and Frankie's 130 (still very respectable). lol

Mel, I thought the very same thing... And I fell for it! See, they really ARE brilliant!

Chris, if you don't have a cat you need to get one. How have you made it through life so far without one? It's impossible!

BWAAAAahahahaha! Jen, how could Travis have found the earring? All he does is sleep all day while my babies are writing algorithms and performing physics experiments. Travis is good lookin'. They're smart AND good lookin'.

Dec 21, 2006, 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

Zed- I've never told you about "The Assman"? He's heroic.

Here's a story:
http://tinyurl.com/sfo6r

Dec 21, 2006, 1:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure they didn't eat it first?

Dec 21, 2006, 4:51:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

I'll go check it out Chris! Never heard the story...

Mixednut, then surely cat poo is on there if THAT happened. You have brightened my day! (j/k)

Dec 21, 2006, 5:06:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Chris, I loved the cat story! He's adorable--and very very brave! (So were you.)

Frankie & Johnny wouldn't have been that brave mostly because they'd have been too busy writing their physics theses to be looking around the room for bugs or snakes. Know what I mean?

Dec 21, 2006, 5:20:00 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

I had a cat once. She never made a stink over her litter box, only in it. And sometimes behind the television.

Dec 21, 2006, 6:26:00 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Happy belated Birthday Zed!
I'm sorry I missed you on the 18th, and glad you were presented with Cat Treasure by your babies!

Dec 21, 2006, 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Yay! I'm glad you found your earring! What smart kitties!!!!

Dec 22, 2006, 5:35:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks Teena!

Sans, it's okay. I've been known to forget many a birthday. As long as people don't forget I'm alive, I'm okay. :)

Dec 22, 2006, 7:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home