Friday, December 15, 2006

They Thought I Had Gone to Editor Heaven

I might have taken things a bit too far.

I've been working so much for so long now (6-8 weeks, 12-18 hours for 7 days per week) that lots of stuff sort of fell by the wayside. Like the mail, like paying my bills, like my laundry (good thing I have enough clothing and underwear to last me about 3-4 months), like food shopping. I've stayed in touch with family and friends who do not live in my building. At least I made an effort to do that.

But I was holding it together until yesterday. It was then that my mailman freaked out and went to the management office to say he was concerned that something bad had happened to me because my mail had piled up for almost 3 weeks (and I had 8 Fed-Ex packages). Me bad.

Then my friend R., the super (I think he has a more formal name than that, like manager of building maintenance, but I'm not sure what it is), called around only to find out that no one had seen me--not doormen, not security guards, not maintenance people ... no one. Now alarmed, R. came to my door Tuesday morning, knocking/banging to get my attention in case I was injured, sick, hurt inside (the building does not have keys to my apartment). But I had left for a meeting Tuesday morning. Of course. I never go out with my crazy workload at this time of year, but I did on Tuesday morning.

Many people became involved in trying to figure out whereI was and what had happened to me (you can go to the garage without ever seeing anyone coming or going, BTW). When I came home I found voice mail saying I needed to call the management office immediately because they were worried about me. I called, everyone was happy that I was okay, and I finally realized it's not nice to make people worry. Especially people who care for you.

Everyone hugged. It was all good. The mailman is relieved (he even threw out all my junk mail, so after almost 3 weeks I had only about 12 pieces of "real" mail).

I'm really very blessed to have such wonderful friends in the people who work in, or FOR, this building. It's a fortress, but a really warm one at times.

Work's slowing down, and I've gotten out a bit yesterday and today. I can be human again, and I think I need to figure out if work, or people, are more important. Truth is, both are important, since I need to support myself, but I'd like to come up with a nice balance of the two.

This weekend is my birthday extravaganza. I'm still receiving invitations for get-togethers, which started today (I was taken to lunch) until next Wednesday. EVERY day I'm being honored. I'm a fortunate woman. And feeling rather blessed.

Hugs!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to know that so many folks are watching out for you. It means that you have quite an impact on a lot of people. That's a nice feeling to have.

Dec 15, 2006, 4:22:00 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

I think everyone should have week long celebrations for birthdays.

Yes, dont make people worry! Or I'll. I'll...do something dramatic!

Dec 15, 2006, 5:49:00 AM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

Happy Birthday Week, Zed! Hell, why not make it a whole month...

Dec 15, 2006, 10:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

teri says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY week as well.

you need to not be a hermit, make some noise and let the mailman see you every so often.

is that too much to ask?

I'm always nervous about dieing, in my house, with my cats and no one around. they won't find me for weeks and it won't be pleasant......

as a side note, my job would get suspicious if I don't make it in without calling, therefore, I might be found sooner rather than later....

what a pleasant thought.

Dec 15, 2006, 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

Wow that was just like an episode of Law & Order, except you weren't dead! (thank goodness) I'd tell you to take it easy and to blog more, but I haven't blogged in like 3 weeks, I'm such a hypocrite(sp).

Dec 15, 2006, 1:14:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Java, I have to admit it made me feel good that I'm impacting others in a good way. I try, but I'm not always sure I'm reaching anyone. I guess I am.

Mel's threatening me!! Help! Help! haha!

Chris, thanks. I'm going to try to drag it out until January. It's all about me, isn't it? Of course it is. (For me, anyway)

Yep it won't be pleasant at all Teri--and smelly too! I worry about that sometimes as well. I promised the mailman to make a point of seeing him at least once a week. He just smiled and shook his head. He likes me. :) Also, you have your coworkers to check up on you, and your company has to call, usually within 3 days I think, to keep you on payroll without having heard from you--or something like that. But I work from home. No one to check up on me. Not good.

Teri, can't you choose "other" when you "choose an identity"? You'd put in teri as your username and then your site address... worked for me in the past. No?

Sushiboy, I'm glad I wasn't dead either. But I never realized I'd upset so many people by my absence... The super? the maintenance guys? the management office? the mailman? Who knew?! One of the actors from CSI lives in my building--if he was worrying, a future episode is surely in order. :)

Dec 15, 2006, 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

That is crazy. Were you gone? har har.

Dec 15, 2006, 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Dale is mean. Enough said. :)

I'm in the zone, Fab (twilight zone)...

Dec 19, 2006, 12:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home