Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Where Have I Been? Don't Ask

I haven't died and gone to Heaven yet. Nor have I left the planet Earth for any other destination--I'm still pretty happy here, and NASA said "Uh, no." Oh sure, just because I vomit in those "weightless" rooms. They're so fussy!

But I've been teetering on the edge of sanity for the last two weeks due to overwork (14- to 18-hour days including weekends--you know, the kind of hours the Japanese sometimes die from) and external pressures, and yesterday I reached the breaking point until I remembered my mother saying as I grew up, "Do the best you can, that's all anyone can ever expect of you." Ah, the wisdom of our mothers! So I'm doing the best I can, nothing more and nothing less.

In addition to the work mess last week, I had a missing relative. We couldn't find my only relative who lives within 2200 miles of me (everyone else is, obviously, far out of state). I began to call around to hospitals in several states, thinking I might find him. Nothing. I decided to call the police and they got back to me that he was in a hospital in South Jersey for the last 10 days with kidney problems. Whew! Not the greatest news, but he was still with us. I spoke to him and hope to see him soon.

Then add to the stress my spending 5 hours of research for a stranger on the Internet who announced on his web site that he and others are going to make a rather risky trip in dangerous waters near me, and I passed on what I believed to be good info to him anonymously, only to have him respond: "I'm five steps ahead of you, pal. What kind of fool do you take me for?" Hmmm. Snotty. Five hours of reseach wasted on a moron. I was actually going to TELL him what sort of fool I thought he was, but didn't have the energy or inclination to deal with him any more. Idiot.

Then another blogger lifted a meme (which I'm happy for her to take--I "borrow" memes all the time), but left a post on HER site saying that the best thing about my blog was the list of links on the right. Another snotty blogger. :) They're everywhere. Lucky us.

So add it all together:

14-18 hrs work/7 days x 2 weeks + 5 hours wasted research + 1 uncalled-for blogger slam = need for a blogging break

But I'm still doing the best I can, nothing more, nothing less. And if the idiot who didn't appreciate the research, and the ungrateful wench who lifted the meme and then insulted me don't like it, well ... here, have some killer potatoes. Clog your arteries a little.

I'm back for a while. I'm sorry I didn't keep in touch, and I hope you can forgive me.

Next Wednesday's Zedstock will involve costumes that you all must wear to be let in. I'll give you more details as we go! We'll have another great Zedstock day!

23 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

I'm sorry for the crazy people, they're everywhere.

I don't like when people can't be somewhat courteous. If I've already gotten the information and another person gives me the same info, I usually come back to the person with "thanks so much for the information, I appreciate it."

Your circle appreciates you, that's all the matters. : )

I can't believe a relative of yours is in the South Jersey area. I feel mighty privileged, although hopefully it's not your "Uncle Rocky" or whatever his name is.

Nov 29, 2006, 3:16:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Yep, in the Bricktown-Point Pleasant-Manasquan area. We went there for summers as children; those were wonderful days.

Thanks for the encouragement. Normally I could not care less if someone makes a less-than-courteous remark; I'm usually great at responding appropriately (not in KIND, but appropriately). But if the remark comes at a time when I'm tired and frazzled, and nearly cuckoo, I let it get to me (no doubt the remark-maker's whole intention).

Teri, when the weather gets better and I head to South Jersey I want to meet up with you one day somewhere near the shore. We'll have fun!

Nov 29, 2006, 3:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zed, i'm so glad you're okay.

we've all had people make remarks that were more about making themselves look "cool" and less about caring if we got hurt in the process. screw 'em. they're idiots.

a polite thank you from the idiot would have been nice, but does it really matter? his whole site is about his being "cutting" so he'd be totally out of character if he were actually nice. nice? i'm sure he doesn't get "nice"--"duh, what's nice???"

anyway, don't disappear again. even my husband was asking what happened to you and he doesn't notice ANYTHING. ha!

you were missed.

Nov 29, 2006, 3:46:00 PM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

Hey zed, glad you are back!

Nov 29, 2006, 4:08:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks sushiboy! I'm glad to be back too!

Are you working on your "assignment"?? Ahem... :)

Nov 29, 2006, 4:09:00 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Zed, that would be lovely. The only highest shore point I've been to is Long Beach Island/Barnegate.

Nov 29, 2006, 4:26:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

You haven't been north of LBI? I think Ocean Grove is worth a trip...that's about 1/2 hr. north of LBI. Very similar to Cape May... lovely really. But we'll work on it, okay? I really want to do that in spring.

Nov 29, 2006, 4:44:00 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Welcome back Zed. I missed you.
How's the leg?

Nov 29, 2006, 4:47:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Sans, I missed you too. It's been crazy here and highly stressful, but the good news is my legs are almost back to normal. The PT is really working...I just wish I had started it a long time ago. I'm the queen of procrastination.

I hope you are well. And Chicken Paris? Has she recovered or is it "all over" for her? So sad.

Nov 29, 2006, 5:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very glad you are back! I missed you, Zed. I actually was beginning to worry.

Screw snotty people. Poison their Clamato.

Nov 29, 2006, 5:09:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Amy, I wrote you a really long response, but Blogger ate it. This is NOT my week. :)

Anyway, I missed you as well as all my blogging buddies, but in the last two weeks the moment I finished one job I would pick up another. Endlessly.

I'll still have a lot to do in the coming week, but it's a bit more managable. I promise from now on to let you all know when I'll be off for a few days. It's not right to leave people hanging about my whereabouts.

Hugs to you!

Nov 29, 2006, 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Teri! If you make it back here I just want to let you know that you can breathe easy, my relative in South Jersey is NOT by cousin Rocky.

You are safe. :)

Nov 29, 2006, 6:38:00 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Phew.......

I've been holed up in the house since work let out, I can venture out again. Hopefully it's safe.

Nov 29, 2006, 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Zed! Glad you are not dead!

Dont ever do that again!!OK? ok.

I missed you even though I have been out of touch lately too.

Can I just say again how much dialup sucks? Count yourself lucky because its so much trouble to comment I just havent been until I get home.

Nov 29, 2006, 6:54:00 PM  
Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

I'm sorry that you have had such a rough couple of weeks.

I think the universe just turns crazy this time of year.

Behavior like you experienced was uncalled for, and I'm sorry that they are not more human.

But... nevertheless, we understand the need for a break, and we understand the business of your life...we're just glad to know that your arteries weren't clogged, or the internet virus spiked your potatoes, or the aliens picked you up and hauled you off with the Christian Science folks..... and whatever else we dreamed up while you were gone.

Fancy Zed--You were missed!

Nov 29, 2006, 9:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, I promise you personally not to disappear again. I will always leave a message if I will not be around for a few days. But I think the worst is over for a while ...

I know you're suffering with dialup, but you'll be home before you know it, and back to a faster connection.

Again, I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. It's a tough time for you, but you're going to be okay. You'll see. I was convinced I'd never make it through the death of my sister, but the Man upstairs really give us grace to make it through times such as this.

Okay, no tearing wires out of the wall with dial-up frustration now, okay? Hugs to you!

Nov 29, 2006, 10:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed you too Doctor Mom! It was so funny to get here yesterday after a week away and read commenters' guesses as to the cause of my disappearance and possible demise. You all are so funny.

But I'm back now, and I promise to behave in the future and let my blogging family know I haven't kicked the proverbial bucket.

Hugs to you! Thanks for your concern!

Nov 29, 2006, 10:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teri, you can safely leave your house. Well, it's sort of late now, but tomorrow... tomorrow you can go to work.

Sorry about that.

Nov 29, 2006, 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Glad you're back, Zed! I hope things settle down for you soon. And I'm really glad you're not dead.

Nov 29, 2006, 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks Nobody! And if I haven't mentioned it, I'm sooooo glad you're still around too! I was so worried about you for a while. The worst of my work situation isn't completely over yet, but we're getting there. I should be in great shape by next week. Hugs to you and Mrs. Nobody!

Mr. Fab, thank you for your kind comments. If those people bug me again, I'm going to contact my cousin Rocky and YOU. Between the two of you, those people are FINISHED. :) You prove again and again that the name of "Mr. Fabulous" is a sure fit... Hugs to you and Mrs. Fab!

Dec 1, 2006, 12:52:00 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Clearly people love Zed. They love Zed so much they love to dump on Zed. Are these people family Zed? I love you Zed. I will protect you. Unless they come after me. Then you're on your own. Zed.

Dec 2, 2006, 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks, Dale. I knew I could count on you. :) Chicken!

Dec 5, 2006, 12:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zed I really miss you as well as all my blogging buddies at aquabot and here, ...Thanks for coming back...Looking for something better from you..

Sep 18, 2007, 4:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home