Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Words to Kill By (A Wednesday Zed Feature)

There are words and phrases that just push me over the edge of tolerance. I cringe when I hear them, whether for the 10th time or the 24th billion time. There's something so hideous about them that I physically react to the utterance of them.

WORDS/PHRASES I HATE:

Whimsy
. Be honest with me, is this a replacement for the word "cute"? Fine, can we now replace the word "whimsy" with another word? It is SO overused. And the word can't stand on its own, it always has to have the phrase "a touch of" in front of it. For example, "By adding the teddy bear on the fireplace, we've added a touch of whimsy to this otherwise dull room." Oh, just drop in a hole already. I don't want to be touched by whimsy. I want to UN-touched by whimsy and never hear it again.

At the end of the day. Until a few years ago, everyone just said "finally" or "ultimately" or "at last" to emphasize finality or closure. But now I keep hearing "at the end of the day." Huh? That makes no sense. Something might end at the end of the day but start up again tomorrow, which means it's not really "over." And the words "finally" and "ultimately" are only one-word long--they're not 6 words, as is ATEOTD. What a waste of blah-blah! At the end of the day, I hate the phrase at the end of the day.

A penny for your thoughts.
My thoughts have been the victim of inflation. You can have my thoughts--maybe--for $10, but a penny is just plain insulting. This phrase is almost as insulting as the phrase "adding my two cents." My thoughts are not worth two cents--do I need to go through this AGAIN?

What words/phrases do YOU hate?




8 Comments:

Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

Phrases I have learned to hate:

Thinking out of the box
Right-Sizing
Practice Straight Talk when all evidence proves otherwise
RIF (reduction in force)

I think I may still be a little upset over something

Jul 4, 2007, 7:08:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Right-sizing. You're SO right Doctor Mom. They "right-size" this year, then, oops, they made a boo-boo, they need to "right-size" again next year, and then ... oops, they "right-size" again down the road. Do they ever reach the right size? Ever?

Reduction in force. Ugly term, just ugly.

You have every right to still be upset. Since I seem to be overusing the word "idiots" lately, I'll have to come up with something else. How about "morons"?

Jul 4, 2007, 7:20:00 PM  
Blogger Tanya Espanya said...

I also hate ATEOTD, so lame. But I read a blog called Prone to Whimsy.

How about End Result. If it's the end, that's the result, no?

Jul 5, 2007, 6:40:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Tanya, yes, the end IS the result. Exactly. You know!

Is Alexander speaking yet? Please don't teach him about "a touch of whimsy" "a penny for your thoughts" or "just my two cents"--I beg you!

Jul 5, 2007, 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I come here and get your thoughts for free!

Jul 5, 2007, 11:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extraordinary Rendition - which is an official euphemism for shipping people suspected - not convicted - of terrorism to countries that torture people suspected - not convicted - of terrorism.

It is a term to kill by...

Jul 5, 2007, 9:28:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Exactly Lynda. I'd NEVER think of charging you a penny.

Gifted Typist, I've never heard that term. And I think I'm glad. :)

Jul 6, 2007, 1:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extraordinary rendition is the official term used for the more casual term "outsourcing torture"

Jul 9, 2007, 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home