Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Sleep Meme

I'm ever so grateful to Sushiboy for the tag. You shall be punished Eric! :)

6 weird things I do while getting ready to sleep or while sleeping:

6. I toss to one side of the bed to make sure my boy cat Johnny is comfortable, then to the other side to make sure the girl cat Frankie is comfortable. They both curl up in my arms. Finally THEY are comfortable and I'm miserable because I'm not comfortable! Ah, what we do for the love of our cats.

5. Before I get in bed I put my hair in a ponytail. Then I get in and think, "this stinks!" and take the ponytail out. I believe deep in my heart that someday I will be able to sleep with the ponytail in. Otherwise, I will awake each day with my hair standing straight up, because that's what happens unless it's ponytailed. I just bored myself to death with this #5 answer.

4. I fill an 8-oz. bottle of water and put it on one side or the other of my bed in case I awake thirsty at some point during the night. The few times I've awoken in such a condition, I've forgotten that I put the bottle there and knock it over on the way to the kitchen ... for water.

3. I speak a LOT. And laugh in my sleep. And say TERRIBLE things. Once I traveled across country with a friend of a friend. I did not like this girl at all. And apparently I told her so while I was sleeping (I cannot be held responsible for my nastiness while sleeping). I was told that I said it SO LOUDLY and CLEARLY she heard me from across the room. At that point we were only in Kansas and I experienced lots of silence the rest of the way to California. Ugh.

2. I put a bar of soap at the foot of the bed to eliminate leg cramps. It works. It really works. Don't use Dove or Irish Spring, for some reason. Use Ivory. It not only eliminates leg cramps, it's 99% pure too.

1. I put a stack of pillows at my head. Four to each side, two under my head. The comforter has to be up around my neck--even in summer--and my feet ALWAYS have to be covered. Or else. Then Frankie & Johnny lay on TOP of the comforter, and I am effectively pinned to the bed. Nice.

18 Comments:

Blogger Shelli said...

Awesome job, Zed. I started this meme 2 Mondays ago. I like that people who I don't know (not you, but the person you got it from) have picked it up! It makes me feel special. lol I have a lot of the same sleep habits.

Jun 26, 2007, 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

Sometimes I miss having the dog in bed with me, but then I realize that I can now move while I'm in bed and I'm glad she isn't. I would never allow a cat in my bed.

And I think your pulling our legs with the soap thing.

Jun 26, 2007, 9:11:00 AM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

Shelli - my anonymity is part of my charm. After people know who I am they don't seem to like me as much. Heh.

Zed - Is the Ivory responsible for your sudden (and much welcomed) mobility?

Jun 26, 2007, 9:20:00 AM  
Blogger soulbrush said...

like your blog

mine is: 60b460.blogspot.com

what'ya think?

Jun 26, 2007, 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Good meme, Shelli! Go meet Sushiboy, he's a charmer! I liked Dick Small's "drooling" response to your meme--and I am ever so grateful that drooling is not one of my sleeping faults ... yet.

Nobody, the soap thing really works. Go search it out on Google using "leg cramps soap" as key words. And cat's in bed are so comforting because they purr, and dogs don't. So there. :)

Sushiboy, yep it was the Ivory soap thing. Weird, I know, but I believe everything I learn on the Internet now. :)

Hey Forever Young, welcome to my blog. I like your avatar!

Jun 26, 2007, 12:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zed, why are you making up that soap story? why?

my dog sleeps with us but takes up so much room my husband and i wind up at the edges of the queen-size bed and the dog luxuriates in the middle. life's so unfair. i think the dog eats better than me as well. hahaha

Jun 26, 2007, 12:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that thing about the soap for real??

Jun 26, 2007, 1:17:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Yes it is, Dick--weird as that sounds. I was in constant leg pain for over a year and went to physical therapy, took calcium/magnesium/zinc supplements, exercised, you name it. Then one day I thought I can't take this pain any more--I'm going on the internet and staying there until I find an answer. So I searched for "leg pain" and "leg cramps" on Google and kept running into forums with folks raving about placing soap at the foot of the bed and how it got rid of their pain. So I tried it-- and it works.

Just buy a large bar of Ivory. Put it near your legs/feet (you can even put it under the bottom sheet, but I like it right next to my legs). No more cramps. Amazing.

Bizarre as it seems, the method works. And it turns out a number of others I know have been doing this for years. Maybe it's the lye or tallow in the soap--I don't know. I'm just grateful the pain is gone.

Jun 26, 2007, 1:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I don't know.....

Jun 26, 2007, 4:11:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Would I lie to you Dick?

Jun 26, 2007, 4:41:00 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

wow, how uncomfortable that sounds.

Jun 26, 2007, 9:29:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

It's a lot more comfortable than having debilitating leg cramps 24/7. Trust me on that one.

The soap really doesn't have to actually touch your legs, Teri. It just has to be in the vicinity of them.

Jun 26, 2007, 9:40:00 PM  
Blogger mixednut said...

That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Can it be on a rope?

Jun 27, 2007, 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

No ropes are involved. Unless you're a cowboy, a thief, or into ... you know ... er ... S&M.

Jun 27, 2007, 3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

Up to the bar of soap thing, it seemed a fairly normal routine

I'm not certain that I fully comprehend the science behind the bar of soap in bed and the correlation to relief of leg cramps?

Is this available in the National Library of Medicine archives?

Jul 2, 2007, 8:46:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Doctor Mom, I'm quite sure the soap technique is not found in any reputable medical journal or reference work. But it works. I couldn't walk, now I can. Go figure. I'm not even taking the calcium and magnesium any longer.

Recently I went to the dollar store and bought some "Ivory soap"--yet it didn't look like real Ivory soap, and who knows what one's buying in ANY dollar store. Anyway, I took it home and replaced the REAL Ivory soap bar at the foot of my bed with the dollar-store "Ivory" and forgot about it.

I had leg pain over the course of the next week. Once I replaced the current bar of FAKE Ivory with the real thing, I haven't had any pain since.

You're just gonna have to trust me on this one. :)

Jul 2, 2007, 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

Well, Ivory soap is truly a pure bar of soap.

I have just been trained to critique peer reviewed journals which conduct double-blinded and randomized clinical trials.

Jul 3, 2007, 5:07:00 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I love that you insult people in your sleep!

Jul 3, 2007, 10:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home