Friday, June 08, 2007

What's Happened to Our Judicial System?

Something's really wrong with our justice system. Paris Hilton was charged with DUI, arrested, paid her bail, and then was sent to jail for 3 days of a 40-day sentence (reduced to 23 day for "good" behavior before entering jail ???), and then she was let go from jail today because her lawyer felt she might have a nervous breakdown from all the stress of being incarcerated.

I'm thinking lots of women sent to prison feel like they might have a nervous breakdown after spending a night or two among the general prison population, but Paris was segregated for her own protection, so she didn't even have to face any of the "scarey" women in jail. And now they're going to let her stay home for 40 days. Whoop-de-doo.

This reminds me of OJ being let go on a double homicide charge. Johnny Cochrane said, "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit" in reference to a bloody glove found at the scene of the crime. The glove didn't fit, true. It was all shriveled up from the massive amount of blood on it--so it was impossible for OJ to put his hand in. Well, of course, it didn't fit. The lining shrank.

I've had lined leather gloves shrivel that had gotten very well from snow and ice. The lining shrank, and when I attempted to put the glove on, I couldn't. Isn't this basic knowledge? OJ got away with a double homicide because of a shrunken glove. Something is really messed up with the justice system.

Then two years ago a local jurisdiction handled a rape trial. It was clear that the rape had occurred. The victim's version matched the rapist's version exactly. The accused actually admitted on four occasions that he had committed the crime.

Yet jurors went into the jury room and everyone voted for acquittal because the accused protested that he didn't understand what the police asked him, and he had said "Yes I raped her" when he claims he meant "No, I didn't rape her."

What's the problem here? Granted, his original language was not English. But the police had a translator for him every step of the way and wouldn't even address him when a translator wasn't present. He still said he didn't understand English and inadvertently said "Yes, I raped her" when he meant to say "No, I didn't rape her." Yet on one of the jury breaks many jurors passed him and his lawyer in the hallway and heard them conversing in perfect English. He barely had even the slightest accent.

When he was asked by the police if he raped her, wouldn't he have said "NO" since HIS language has the word "No" in it just like the English language? Ugh. What a mess the judicial system is...

This morning, Paris is meeting with the original judge who sentenced her, so I'm hoping someone can reestablish some sanity in the system. I'm not thinking that will happen, but I'm hoping. And I will totally lose it if he reduces her 40-day-at-home-sentence to an 18-day-at-home sentence for "good" behavior and time served.

Totally lose it, I tell you.

UPDATE: As you know, she's back in jail. Go Judge Sauer! Rah, rah!

11 Comments:

Blogger Superwoman said...

I hate Paris Hilton

Jun 8, 2007, 1:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't begin to say how angry I am. It's SO unjust. I hate OJ too.

Jun 8, 2007, 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger mixednut said...

Hasn't that poor girl been through enough already?

Jun 8, 2007, 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Hi superwoman. I've been watching CNN and I'm thinking she might be going back to jail, where she belongs. Yea!!! And yes, she is so easy to hate.

Dick, my blood pressure is up at least 25 pts over this. If I have a stroke I'm really going to be angry. :)

MixedNut, Puleeeaassse tell me you're kidding!

Jun 8, 2007, 2:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm TELLING you all, SOMEone got bribed!!!! There's no other reason! Paris or her dad told "someone" 'if you release her I'll give you a million bucks'. I'm telling you, someone got bribed!! Nobody listens to me on this one....

Jun 8, 2007, 3:14:00 PM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

I'm pretty sure some money changed hands. I'm glad they put her back in jail. The girl is a menace. That's where her parents belong for releasing her on the public!

Jun 8, 2007, 3:44:00 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

do you think she will learn anything?? NO.

The video of her crying this morning made me smile.

Jun 8, 2007, 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

God, I'm such a mush Mel. The pictures of her sobbing on the way to face the judge today made me feel so bad. Then I had to get a grip and remember that she drove drunk, was arrested, and then violated her probation.

My sister was a probation officer for 20 years. If anyone assigned to her violated probation, they were sent to jail, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Jun 8, 2007, 5:51:00 PM  
Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

Our judicial system is a mess
There are those who have the government and law enforcement in their back pockets

There are those who are overprotected by the law due to technicalities

There are those who are protected because they are not American Citizens, they are here from another country and there is some sort of amnesty thing

I don't understand our legal system, it scares me

Jun 8, 2007, 9:30:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

You're right Doctor Mom. It's a total mess. The scales of justice are so out of balance. It's a scary thing indeed.

Jun 8, 2007, 9:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok everyone, say it with me: fash-iz-uhm. It happened in 1933 elsewhere in the world, and it's happening here in America right now. Money + Popularity = Judicial Amnesty.

Nov 30, 2007, 10:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home