Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Image Editing Wizard

We've probably all seen videos such as the Dove Soap model evolution video (click HERE to view it). It's an amazing study of what can be accomplished with image editing software, especially Photoshop.

So I got to thinking how I could improve on my Zed icon (the screaming cat), seen below.

My first try using Gimp software came out like this:

I don't know why, but the image turned out not only to be black and white, but also to be way too "Hunchback of Notre Dame"-ish. So I tried again, and THIS time I went from a black-and-white image to a pencil-like drawing:

The concept was good, but my rendering was not an accurate representation of Zed. There was no "joie de vie"; no "soul." After much deliberation, I decided to return to a photographic/digital image. Many adjustments needed to be made to the original photo to come up with this:

Now I seemed to be on track!

This cat image is quite outstanding, though a bit dark. I realized I needed to make many adjustments to my cat icon to arrive at something of which I could be proud. So I then edited and reshaped this cat's eyes and changed them to a deeper green. I made the pupils dark (and took the red out) and added white on the face and chest. I added more whiskers, and changed his black nose to pink. This is what I got:

The transformation is complete!

8 Comments:

Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

Yes! A great likeness... it reminds me of another cat named Frankie!

Jul 2, 2007, 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

BTW-- you're very talented with that software!

Jul 2, 2007, 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Haha! That's not Frankie. THIS is Frankie:

http://tinyurl.com/39kntm

See the crooked-looking nose? That's my Frankie!

I wish I was good at the software, but I've got a long, long way to go. I'm working on it though, Doctor Mom!

Jul 2, 2007, 9:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how that cute little zed icon turned into the hunchback of notre dame is beyond me. haha

Jul 2, 2007, 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Cheer34 said...

I like the look on the cats face. (the last picture) What do you call that and how was it accomplished?

Jul 2, 2007, 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

That look on the last cat's face is one of those "Wha???" looks--you know, "Wha's happening now?" A good way to achieve that face is to wave freshly cooked bacon in front of the cat's face but keep it just out of reach.

Ooooh. I'm so mean!

Anyway, trust me on this Cheer34, I'm still clueless about image editing, but I'm working on it! I found that picture of the black and white cat somewhere on the Internet (shhhh! don't tell!)

Jul 2, 2007, 1:49:00 PM  
Blogger Cheer34 said...

hmmm. I had a feeling you were not being honest about the photo editing.

Jul 2, 2007, 2:40:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Oh, the humiliation!

Please, I can barely manage stick figures. That drawing thing/image-editing thing is completely other side of the brain, Cheer34. :)

Jul 2, 2007, 3:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home