Saturday, October 23, 2010

It's me. No, really. It's me. Zed.

My mother, Mama Zed, the Floridian about whom I wrote many a post because she drove me insane on her twice-yearly visits up north, the woman who was always cold even at 72 balmy degrees F., the woman whose first words on landing in the Tri-State were "You need a haircut!" died on September 20, 2010. I keep going to the phone to call her, even though logically I know she is gone.

The hospice doctor called me the morning of the 20th to say "I think today is the day." I rushed to hospice, and after about 30 minutes, I prayed with eyes closed, "Lord, please take her now. Please!" and when I looked up she took a breath in but nothing back came out. She was gone. Just like that. It was the best thing that could have happened to her. She is no longer in pain or suffering in her broken earthly body. I see her dancing with the angels in heaven.

Yes, I've been gone a long time. Never forgot any of you and visited all of your posts today just to make sure you all were still here. Some seem gone. I hope not. I also see a marriage occurred over at Some Guy's Blog (congrats to both of you!), and the wonderful Jen of Casual Slack has not lost her kind nature and posted as late as December 2009, wondering where I was. What a trooper! Thanks, Jen. I'm right here finally.

I can never thank you all enough for caring. I've been through a lot in the last 3 years (as I'm sure all of you have), and over time I will reveal some of what has happened. For right now, I will leave you with some Mama Zed posts. You found them hilarious then and I hope you still do.

http://theworldaccordingtozed.blogspot.com/2007/08/gone-but-not-forgotten.html
http://theworldaccordingtozed.blogspot.com/2007/08/towels-more-towels.html
http://theworldaccordingtozed.blogspot.com/2007/08/first-jab.html
http://theworldaccordingtozed.blogspot.com/2007/01/shes-old-but-she-loves-football.html
http://theworldaccordingtozed.blogspot.com/2006/08/all-warm-things-are-not-equal.html
http://theworldaccordingtozed.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-nerves.html?showComment=1193426220000


Dance, Mama Zed, dance.



20 Comments:

Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

Welcome back Zed!
My condolences on your loss, but glad you were with her when the time came.
WELCOME BACK ZED!!!

Holy Sugar, Zed's back!
Super double dip Yay!, with cream on top!
This calls for a toast,
All hail Zed!
(sans scuttles off to get whisky...)

Oct 24, 2010, 8:35:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

My first comment in three years!! Yippee!! And it's you, my friend Sans, it's you! So glad, so very glad!

As long as you're on your way to the liquor store, can you pick me up some chips, margarita mix, and cafe latte from Dunkin Donuts? I'll pay you back, honest!

So glad to see you again ...

Oct 24, 2010, 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

46 packs of chips, various, 12 bottles of margarita mix, and one super tall cafe latte from Dunkin comin' up. When I go Dunkin, I go large!
Very glad to see you again too Zed. It's much quieter in the Blogosphere these days, due to Facebook & Twitter being a more exciting destination.
I'm still pushing pixels, but mostly covers and copies of Charles Rennie Mackintosh designs.
I kinda got into that via Blogging, and now I'm nearly a scholar. You would love all the books that have been written about him with all the mistakes and mirrored pictures.

Oct 24, 2010, 9:20:00 PM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

Seeing a new post from you just made my day, Zed! I'm sorry to hear about Mama Zed. Thanks for the kind words and I hope you'll keep posting!

Oct 24, 2010, 9:30:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Makes me happy too! I visited your site to view your and Megan's wedding pictures and it was so touching. What a great story.

I can't promise that I'll post everyday, but I do promise to post with a bit more regularity than every three years. Honest. :)

Oct 24, 2010, 9:51:00 PM  
Anonymous jane said...

It's about time you made it back here zed. my husband and I loved the mama zed posts. they were hilarious and we always looked forward to the next one.

we extend our condolences to you. it's a tough time, i know

missed you much. keep posting please.

Oct 24, 2010, 9:56:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Charles Rennie Mackintosh, wow. I know that name from when I lived with a family in Paisley, Scotland; the daughter was studying architecture. I promise to check out his work and yours on your blog.

I'm a hold out regarding Facebook or Twitter. Like, I can barely blog, never mind tweet.

Pass on the chips please. Any time will do. Have you tried sweet potato chips? Yum.

Oct 24, 2010, 10:13:00 PM  
Anonymous teri said...

I loved your mom posts.

I'm so sorry that she is gone but like you, happy she isn't in pain.

Oct 25, 2010, 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks, teri. I loved Mama Zed posts too. She was a classic.

Oct 25, 2010, 1:23:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Speaking of "classic," I saw your grammar school photo (with classmates) yesterday.

In my school, we had a photo like that too, but we were all dressed in our royal-blue, boxy, unsexy, one-piece gym suits.

Frightening.

Oct 25, 2010, 1:59:00 PM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

Zed welcome back. I'm glad your mom isn't in pain, but I'm sorry for your loss.

Oct 25, 2010, 5:25:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Sushiboy! How are you? Thank you for your kind post. My mother is far better off now than she was a few weeks ago. No more pain, no more suffering, and restored health. She's younger than I am now ... (Hey, wait a minute, that's not fair!)

Aren't you going to blog anymore? Please come back and post again. I promise to come visit.

Oct 25, 2010, 5:50:00 PM  
Anonymous teri said...

we had the one piece gym suits in junior high and high school. If they dare to take a class picture in those getups, they would have had a revolt on their hands.

Oct 26, 2010, 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

We were NOT allowed to bring our gym uniforms home for washing more than once every two weeks.

Considering we had gym class three times a week, and we perspired A LOT, those uniforms got rather ripe before we could get them washed. Stinky!

Oct 26, 2010, 12:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Zed!! My old blog is gone now, but Nobody™ is still around.

Oct 27, 2010, 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Nobody, I was going crazy trying to find you two days ago! I'm so glad to see you here!

I've found so many people have left blogging. I had no idea I was such a trend setter. :)

I'm back now though, so c'mon by any old time.

P.S. I tried to visit nobody's corner just now but couldn't get on. What's up with that?

Oct 27, 2010, 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Gifted Typist said...

your mom Zed posts made me laugh too

i had lunch with my incredibly infuriating at times mom today - she was laughing and having fun - and I realized how lucky I am to have her healthy and happy (at times)

I guess that's what we have - the ability to be happy in the moment

Oct 29, 2010, 9:22:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Cherish those moments, GT. Life goes by quickly and they are gone. I have lots of regrets for not making more time for Mama Zed by visiting Florida more frequently, and now I can't go back and make it right.

Someday give your mom a hug for me.

Glad to see you back posting.

Oct 29, 2010, 9:31:00 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

welcome back I too am bad bad blogger.

I am so sorry about mom, its hard no matter what. And i am cold even when its 72 degrees too lol

Oct 31, 2010, 8:15:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Mel, I'm so sorry you've been going through tough times as well. Cuddle up with your new greyhound (what a gorgeous dog!) and stay warm no matter what the temperature.

You're in my prayers (NOT as in "you're in my prayers" and then NOTHING, as often happens with people--you are truly in my prayers).

Oct 31, 2010, 7:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home