Thursday, August 30, 2007

Gone, but Not Forgotten

My mother has returned to her beloved state of Florida. While she was here, she kept saying things like "Florida has much better roads than the Tri-State," OR "You have gas station attendants pump your gas? We don't have anyone pump our gas in Florida. What's wrong with this state?" OR "We get free refills of coffee and soda in our restaurants. You people have to pay for refills. Florida's better in so many ways" OR "It's FREEZING here. I miss the warm weather of Florida."

So she's happily back in warm and steamy Florida, where she rides on smoother roads, pumps her own gas (at the age of 88 and weighing only 105 lbs.), and gets as many coffee refills as she wants without paying. We surely lack many amenities here in the Tri-State.

Anyway, I keep thinking Mama Zed's in the same room as me, and I frequently turn around to say something to her, but no one's there. Or I think I hear her rustling around the kitchen. But no, she's really back home in Florida catching up with her friends (one died in her absence), and settling back in. It's as if my place is haunted, but that can't be because she's still alive. I miss her. Weird, huh? :)

Thank you all for hanging in there with me during her visit. It made it so much easier to deal with if I c0uld vent here on a daily basis. You guys are great--I owe you big-time!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, she's still driving?????

Aug 31, 2007, 5:32:00 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

How about making me something to eat? CP and I are still waiting to test your fabled cooking.

My mother spends about 10 minutes with me when I go home and then after I leave says she wishes we'd had more time.

Aug 31, 2007, 8:06:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

She is, Dick. I try to send out Mama alerts whenever I know she's going to be on the road.

Good thing you're in NY State and she's in Florida. You're safe.

Dale, maybe that's all she can take?? ... oh, sorry, I'm being mean again. :) No, that's not it!!! J/k! It's the law that they behave that way. They're all the same and will be jailed if they break old-person laws.

Aug 31, 2007, 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger tmollie said...

Nothing to say really except, wow she still drives.
How sad about her friend passing.

My mom never comes to visit so I will not ever have that feeling she is here.
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old people laws? (hmmm)

Aug 31, 2007, 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

Now that she's gone, are you gonna get a haircut?

Aug 31, 2007, 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

Oops, I just saw that you already did. I hope you'll at least turn up the heat in your place.

Aug 31, 2007, 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Cup said...

Can't live with/without 'em, can we?

Aug 31, 2007, 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger Sushiboy said...

Maybe the spirit has just heard about your fabolous cooking. You should make some of your famous mashed potatoes and leave them out to show you mean no harm. (or not... )

Aug 31, 2007, 1:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe the noises you hear mean she's hiding somewhere in your apartment and never actually went home. did you ever think of that?

Aug 31, 2007, 2:14:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

While she was here I should NEVER have prepared my ultra-delicious baked ziti with beef, ricotta, and mozzarella.

What was I thinking??

Aug 31, 2007, 2:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad she's gone. She inspires such brilliant posts.
Thanks for the laughs.

Sep 3, 2007, 8:59:00 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

You may want to consider moving to Florida. It is a warm 73 degrees there, after all.

Sep 4, 2007, 1:37:00 PM  
Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Ooh, I'm sorry I missed this ride! Maybe you should have gone video as well.

Sep 4, 2007, 8:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home