Thursday, September 07, 2006

Five Words Meme

Another meme, this time from Mr. Fab!! Here are five words. I am supposed to write down the first thing that comes to my mind when I see that word. Then I am supposed to pick five different words and tag five of you. All these "supposed tos" ... so many controlling people on the Internet. LOL. Hey, thanks Mr. Fab!

Crankshaft--My Uncle Joe, who owned a garage, used to talk about crankshafts, brakes, and engine blocks at Christmas dinner. But I think more than anything, the word crankshaft reminds me a whole lot less about cars and more about "cranks aft", meaning that cranky, annoying people should be put "aft"--like out of my face.

Fester--The word makes me think of a "festering boil"--some big, huge, messy, disgusting raised-skin thing that no one should ever be plagued with. I've never see one up close and personal, but my Uncle Louie claimed he got one on his butt when he and my aunt drove cross country. One night he told my aunt she had to take a big book and whack him on the butt to destroy and break the festering boil. So she whacked him on the butt with the book, and the boil was destroyed, but he refused to speak to her for the rest of rest of the trip, from Kansas to LA, complaining about the strength with which she hit him. LOL Kaboom!

Amputee--I see missing arms and legs. But not on people. On insects. In grammar school (many moons ago), some of the mean boys used to capture flys and amputate their legs and wings. I grew up in a VERY rough neighborhood. On any given day, I saw 12-15 insect amputees in English class alone.

Suction--Among other things, when I think of "suction" I think of those things one puts on the inside of the bathtub enclosure which hold the bottles and jars we all collect in our bathrooms. I have three of them in the shower with everything from body conditioners, bubble bath, shampoos, hair conditioners, soap, exfoliators, shavers, "shine" products, volumizers, and so on. I can barely move in there-there's no room for me with all that garbage.

Decomposition--Contrary to popular opinion, I am NOT decomposing yet. Well, maybe a little--is that why you brought this up??? LOL Decomposition makes me think of beginnings and endings, starts and stops, growth and destruction. Thanks for bringing me down Mr. Fab. :)

Okay, my set of words: diet(s) fluctuation giggle gravity hangnail

and I'm tagging: Sushiboy Teri Jen Nobody Dick Small

In fact, ANYONE who wants to do this meme, give it a go! If you don't have a blog, feel free to post your answers here in the comments section.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, you've got one weird family zed. that uncle louie was too much.

at times like this i wish i had a blog so I could respond to your memes. oh well. :) maybe i'll break down and buy one next year. I'm so cheap! lol

Sep 7, 2006, 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Jane, you don't have to buy a blog--they're free. Even your extreme cheapness can't beat that! LOL

In the meantime, you can give your answers here if you'd like, in the comments section. Go for it!

Sep 7, 2006, 11:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, here are my responses. that was fun!

diets: i've tried so many diets that i could write a book. in fact, i may! i'll call it: Jane's You Won't Lose Any Weight, But You can Tell People You're Trying Diet. there's a point where living well supercedes the importance 10 to 15 extra pounds. that's the wisdom of age speaking.
fluctuation: Well that sort of goes right along with diets. when I eat a huge dinner and expect the scale to fluctuate upward, i get on the scale and find it has gone down. But if I starve myself for a week and cut down on everything eating only "good" diet food and making major sacrifices, i gain weight. The first part of the word fluctuation sound much like something i'd like diets to do to themselves, if you get my drift.
giggle: As a very young child my sisters and brothers used to fight sleep and would giggle for 10-15 minutes before mom or dad would come in to threaten us. :) in retrospect i realize can't blame them. they had to come into the room 4 or 5 times before we understood a spanking was in store if we didn't stop the giggles and go to sleep.
gravity: quantum gravity? you mean black holes? actually, black holes remind me of my handbag. i've got everything in there from towettes, to hand lotion, to a can of cat food (hey, you never know), my son's pocketknife, a plane ticket from last june, you name it. Hubby calls it the black hole of calcutta.
hangnail: gawd i hate hangnails, they make no sense. i moisturize my hands, i protect them when i do dishes, but the hangnails arise. down, i say, down! go away you disgusting obtuse piece of flesh!

Sep 7, 2006, 12:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, hey!! :P

If I see another meme today, I'm gonna go postal. You stand warned, Mr. Fab.

Zed :)

Sep 7, 2006, 3:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going to do the meme because I'm a lazy bum today, I have no blog, and I have to make a dinner for 6 guests tonight. Am I crazy? It's Wednesday!

Anyway, your uncle (the one who had his wife hit him with a book to break the boil?)--is that the same uncle who macramed??

Sep 7, 2006, 5:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One and the same. He was ... unique. No blood relation might I emphasize. :)

Sep 7, 2006, 5:48:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

okay
I will do this tonight

=)

Sep 7, 2006, 6:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogmad Hit!!! Yahoo!

Oh, am I not supposed to say that about myself? I can't do that? Stop me! BlogMad hit!! :)

Sep 7, 2006, 6:39:00 PM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

I love the festering story. Classic!

Sep 7, 2006, 7:15:00 PM  
Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

Dick is double-tagged, he has to give in!

Sep 7, 2006, 7:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he disappeared for the afternoon right after I asked him to do the meme, Doctor Mom. What can you do? He's, how shall I put this?, shy.

Sep 7, 2006, 7:27:00 PM  
Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

Shy??

Nope, not the Dick I know!!

We'll just keep at him I guess.

A little honey is a bit better than lemons in this case!

Sep 7, 2006, 8:06:00 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

okay, Fancy Zed, I played...

Sep 7, 2006, 10:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teri, where is it? I don't see it on your site. I don't see it on my site. Hmmm. :) Gently tapping foot...

Sep 7, 2006, 10:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarlet, I heard that story again and again over many years, and each time he told it he made it sound like she really smacked him. But she's 5'0, probably 98 pounds--how hard a smack could it have been? :)

After a while we would all recite the story with him as he told it. He wasn't happy about that, but we thought it was hilarious. :)

Sep 7, 2006, 11:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home