Sunday, August 12, 2007

Stinky Fish Part II

I just know I'm going to sound like an ungracious host, but I'm not good at hosting strangers. And quirky, difficult strangers at that.

For three days, I opened my home to friends of friends of friends (strangers to me) who asked if they could stay with me while they visited the Tri-State since they had heard I have a large apartment. The fact is, I COULD have refused, but I didn't. Why not? Because I wanted to be gracious to these people (a husband and wife and the wife's mother) because ... well, actually, I don't know why. Sad, isn't it? I'm not usually this nice. Why start now?

They were constantly in my face, moving things around, breaking things, bickering/arguing with each other, blasting the TV, and pretty much expecting me to take them wherever they wanted to go whenever they wanted to go. I cooked every meal for them, or if I didn't cook, I provided the food. Haven't these people heard of HOTELS? or RESTAURANTS? or RENTAL CARS? or CABS? They aren't poor; they just didn't want to spend the money it would take to go on a three-day New York vacation. Good, so I'll spend the money. Me, a stranger to them.


The truth is my apartment is my oasis, all cozy and warm and nice. But it turned into a bit of hell with their dirty towels, dishes, and laundry; empty glasses; a backed-up toilet; frequent disagreements and nitpicking. On Friday night, the TV was blasting so loudly that the doorman called to request I lower it since the neighbors were complaining. Yesterday the kitchen sink backed up for the first time in the 15 years I live here. Last night the toilet overflowed (also a first).

Frankie & Johnny meowed far more than I can ever remember, and finally they just hid in the sweater closet and wouldn't come out. I wish I COULD HAVE HID in there with them.

The unwanted guests left early today, and although I need to pick up after them, change sheets, wash dishes, clean, etc., my oasis is slowly creeping back in. I'm feeling my peace return at last. And Frankie and Johnny have stopped hiding, came out of the sweater closet, and are running and jumping and rejoicing once again.

P.S. My 88-year-old mother arrives on Tuesday. Oh. My.
P.P.S. No, I'm not going to win the Ms. USA Graciousness Award.

13 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

UM.............Why the hell would you open your house like that to strangers? Why the HELL would they ask? I would NEVER expect someone I did not know to put me up like that and I would NEVER ask.

They are f*&^in RUDE.

Aug 12, 2007, 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

I agree with Teri. Why would they ask?

I HATE having people stay at my house, even family. And I hate staying at other peoples house. I feel like an intruder, no matter how hospitable they try to be.

A man's home is his castle, and I don't want to share it. Plus there's that whole social anxiety thing I have going on..

I hope your oasis returns fast!

Aug 12, 2007, 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks Teri and Nobody,

I think they thought they would be somewhat invisible in my place, just really sleeping over and leaving early each morning to sightsee. I didn't see that as much of an imposition. But THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Besides, they are friends of friends. And FIRST and FOREMOST: because they are NERVY.

What's more astonishing is that I said yes. I DON'T DO THAT. I'm really pretty private with my personal space and belongings. I know for a fact that that will never happen again. EVER.

Aug 12, 2007, 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

hopefully your mom will be happy with the heat outside instead of making you turn the air off inside.

Aug 12, 2007, 6:50:00 PM  
Blogger Sans Pantaloons said...

I'm sorry you were taken advantage of Zed, and I'm glad that tranquility is returning. I hope your Mother is keeping well; please pass on my regards.

Aug 12, 2007, 7:03:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Teri, ah, yes, the air conditioning battle is about to begin. Maybe it would just be easier if the weather would cooperate and drop to about 74 daily during her stay. No use trying to change her!

Thanks so much Sans. She's an amazing 88-year-old with lots of opinions. Strong opinions. I'll be reporting in during the next two weeks, and I will indeed pass on your regards. She'll be delighted!

Aug 12, 2007, 7:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Oh man I KNOW what you went through. Several years ago I offered to let my nephew and his wife stay here until they found an apartment in SC (they moved from upstate NY). It was a disater from beginning to end, now we still dont speak. So I learned my lesson just like you did. I HATE people in my space!!!

But Mom's are different in a way. Hope she is doing well!

Aug 12, 2007, 7:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zed, the word "no" is soooooooo useful for births and uninvited guests.

Your really must embrace it.

Aug 12, 2007, 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

I will begin practicing that next week, GT. I seem to have forgotten the word in the last few weeks--a result of many 90-degree July and August days no doubt.

Aug 12, 2007, 9:14:00 PM  
Blogger chelene said...

Did these people even give you a gift for opening your home or even a verbal thank you??

Aug 12, 2007, 9:22:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

A verbal thank-you as they departed. I'm thinking a gift is not even a possibility. I thought they might take me to dinner as a thank-you. But no. Nada. Grrrr.

Aug 13, 2007, 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

What rude and cheap people. I think I might have kicked them out. Motel 6 is very affordable.

Aug 13, 2007, 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I bet you wouldn't have let me stay. Nice is overrated.

Aug 15, 2007, 7:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home