Saturday, August 12, 2006

Two Images from a Bright and Loving Soul

Today is the anniversary of my sister's death, so I'm just going to chill out. But I'm leaving some photos of hers here for you to see.

The first one was taken from the Goodyear Blimp over the Atlantic. The one on the right with the butterfly was taken in SE Florida. Click on an image to enlarge it.

I was with her when both pictures were taken. My camera recorded dark, overcast images because the day was dark and overcast. Yet she captured images that were beautiful, bright, and colorful. And her entire life was that way--she saw good in people no one else saw and loved the unlovable. She enjoyed life to the fullest and traveled the world. And she touched thousands of people's lives wherever she went, and changed the course of many for the good. I miss her.

I'll be back tomorrow. Enjoy the day! And live life large.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photographs, Zed. She was a courageous person, a great photographer, and good soul.

Have a peaceful, quiet day.

Aug 12, 2006, 12:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost a sister 3 years ago and it's been tough. Sisters have a special connection

Aug 12, 2006, 1:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow beautiful stuff Zed. I hope you were at peace today.

Aug 12, 2006, 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I am sorry I am a day late. I hope you have a nice day, full of good memories. The first anniversary of my sister's death is in October, and I am not looking forward to it.

I love the pictures!

Aug 13, 2006, 4:29:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Lynda, Thank you. It went very well. My mother and I kept very busy with fun things and good people, and the day passed quickly.

One thing that has helped me so much is a booklet called "Gone from My Sight: The Dying Experience" (Barbara Karnes), given to us by hospice care 9 years ago when my father died. If you don't have a copy or need one, let me know and I'll get one for you. From it is this:

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!"

"Gone where?"

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!" there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: "Here she comes!"

And that is dying.

I love that.

Aug 13, 2006, 9:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind but I am using the butterfly one as wallpape.
These are amazing pictures.

Aug 13, 2006, 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Mind? Mollie, I'm so happy to hear that!! Thank you! Carole would be thrilled ...

Aug 14, 2006, 10:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home