Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Have Some Bugs with Your Food!

It has always freaked me out that the FDA has an approved "food defect list" which cites how many bug and vermin parts are allowed in what we eat. I found the following article on Salon. Trust me, this is NOT for the squeamish! :)

I also think it's hilarious that the author of the work is Mary ROACH.
_____________________________________

Bug heads, rat hairs--bon appétit
Do you know how many insect parts are allowed in your Fig Newton? By Mary Roach

If you made Fig Newtons for a living and you wanted to know how many insects could get into your Newtons without your getting into hot water with the FDA, you could look it up on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Food Defect Action Levels Web site. Here you would learn that fig paste is allowed to have up to 13 insect heads per 100 grams.


You would then become sidetracked and further learn that approximately four rodent hairs are allowed in a jar of peanut butter, that an average of 60 thrips are allowed in 100 grams of frozen broccoli, that 10 grams of hops are allowed to contain 2,500 aphids and that 5 milligrams of rat excreta in a pound of sesame seeds is A-OK with the FDA.
______________________________________

Article continued here:
http://archive.salon.com/health/col/roac/2000/01/14/filth_lab/print.html

If this article doesn't make us lose weight, nothing will!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

um..that's GROSS! I knew I should have stopped that eating thing a long time ago.

I didn't even read the rest of the article, what you had made me nauseous enough.

Aug 8, 2006, 2:02:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I love rodent hair..
It's great with balsamic vinegar

It's good on bruschetta too..

MMmm MMmmmmmm MMMMMM

Aug 8, 2006, 3:20:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Sorry, Teri... Life ain't purdy.

Jen, you're so funny! I prefer mine with just a little salt and pepper. Maybe just a touch of olive oil. It's all protein!

Aug 8, 2006, 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I went to Cambodia a few years ago and ate deep-fried cockroach, which was good, and chillied ants, which were yummy, except for when you had to pick the wings out from between your teeth. Nice.

Aug 8, 2006, 6:02:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Ewwww, Christopher! Ewwww!

Okay, I'm done freaking out. I need answers: So what'd they serve as vegetable side dishes with the cockroaches? Enquiring minds want to know...

Was it the Zontarain Jumbalaya that Casual Slack's Jen and I hate so much? It was, wasn't it?

Ewww! :)

Aug 8, 2006, 6:46:00 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

I always freeze my flour because of the bug eggs in it.

Aug 9, 2006, 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Lynda I do the same thing! If you looked in my freezer, you'd find all of my rice and wheat products (flour, pasta, cereals, etc.) to kill the bug eggs. 24 hours should do it, but I leave everything in there forever!

The saw-toothed grain beetle (for one) lays its eggs in such products, but the eggs die in the freezer. There are more grain products in my freezer than meats or anything else that's SUPPOSED TO BE IN THERE! :) I'm fanatical!

Aug 9, 2006, 11:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home