Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cancel the Memorial Service

You can call off the Memorial service and send the professional mourners home. I didn't die.

The Zicam kicked in, working in conjunction with Listerine (my breath was more than superb, thank you!!), and one 1/3 dose of Nyquil.

Another night I had cognac latte (I learned about that one during one of my living-in-Europe episodes) and put on three blankets to try to sweat out the cold.

Twenty years ago I walked into a hospital in Rome with the worst bronchitis ever and said, "I need help, I'm dying." Yes, that was dumb to say; but it got their attention. A young doctor took me on the side, listened with his stethoscope to my wheezing, whiny breathing and turned to make some notes on paper. He opened a cabinet, took several bottles of medication out and handed them to me, saying, "Here take these." He also told me, "If you want to get well quicker, go to the liquor store and buy some cognac and put a good amount into hot milk. Drink this several times a day, and you will be well by the end of the week."

It worked without my ever having to take the meds. Who knew?

And under socialized medicine, I didn't have to pay a dime for the meds, doctor's time, or the advice.

Glad to be back! Thanks for hanging in there with me!

21 Comments:

Blogger Just Dave said...

Glad you are feeling better. I knew you were still alive as I haven't seen any flags at half-mast anywhere and CNN did not run a special with Wolf and Christine. Hang in there.

Oct 1, 2007, 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks Dave. Nice to "see" you!

Oct 1, 2007, 12:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i ordered flowers for the memorial service. if i can't get my money back from FTD, i'm sending you the invoice. the least you could have done was died. lol

Oct 1, 2007, 12:44:00 AM  
Blogger jin said...

Uh, you were gone?
*snicker*

Oct 1, 2007, 5:53:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Hahaha, Jin. So mean ...!!! :)

Oct 1, 2007, 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger SkylersDad said...

I keep searching for an American doctor that will tell me to drink, alas I have yet to find one...

Oct 1, 2007, 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Move to Italy, SD! They're drink pushers.

Oct 1, 2007, 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Some Guy said...

God bless the Italian doctors!

Glad you're feeling better, Zedster!

Oct 1, 2007, 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks, Chris. Italian doctors--gotta love 'em!

Oct 1, 2007, 11:38:00 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

I'm glad the booze helped. Being sick sucks.

Oct 1, 2007, 2:21:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

It did, Teri. The booze knocked me right out so I could rest peacefully through the night.

Oct 1, 2007, 5:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Oct 1, 2007, 5:49:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks, Dick! :)

Oct 1, 2007, 7:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

glad you didn't die

=)

Oct 1, 2007, 7:55:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Love his precise medical-like measurements - "a good amount". Sounds like a license for debauchery.

Oct 1, 2007, 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

A cognac latte? I have to tell my coffee shop about this!

Oct 2, 2007, 9:47:00 PM  
Blogger Cup said...

And I hope you're feeling better, Zed.

Oct 2, 2007, 9:47:00 PM  
Blogger GETkristiLOVE said...

Can I substitute tequila for cognac? Not that I'm sick, it just sounds like fun.

Oct 3, 2007, 1:46:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Thanks Jen!

Barbara, the whole "good amount" thing works for me just fine. :)

Beth, it's delish! Maybe too delish!

kristi, give it a try and let me know what you think. But with milk? Not sure about that. Hey, just have it straight. :)

Oct 3, 2007, 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Thank you for not dropping dead. I appreciate it.

It's funny, well not funny but never mind, when I went to Rome, I also had the worse bronchitis ever and I had to explain in English with what I thought looked like Italian hand gestures what the problem was. I got some sort of natural pill that did squat. Care to travel with me next time?

Oct 3, 2007, 6:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not so long ago in the UK and Ireland, new mothers were given a big glass of Guiness. It is rich in minerals and apparently worked a charm to put their depleted systems right again.

And then there were the tonics - you know, the opiate cordials for medicinal purposes....

Oct 4, 2007, 7:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home