Thursday, September 28, 2006

Vicarious Shopping

In October 2005, my 87-year-old mother lost her home and all of her worldly possessions in Hurricane Wilma in Florida, and the expense of putting someone's life back together, having her live with me for almost four months, and getting her re-situated in a new home was tremendous. Huge. It took its toll on my financial situation.

So lately when I go shopping I tend to live vicariously through whomever I shop with instead of spending my own money. Today I went shopping with my friend Barbara. Poor thing.
First we went to Aerosoles.

I said, "Barbara, those shoes are so beautiful! Why don't you try them on?" She did, and I thought they looked great.
"Get them! Why don't you get them?"
I don't know if she needed them. It doesn't matter--she needed to buy them.
"Get them! They're not expensive!"
And when we left there, she had bought 3 pairs; two she took with her, one on order.

Then we went to Talbot's. "Look at these sweaters! They're beautiful--and on sale. Buy them!"
She wanted to try them on first, but she liked them and wound up buying a jacket and two new shirts. I was having a great time!

Then we went to Pier 1. And she saw a rug in extremely unusual colors that would work with her decor. But she had no need whatsoever for the rug; her home is completely furnished.
"But look at the price! How can you pass up a deal like that?"
So Barbara had a lot of pressure on her, and almost caved in.
The fact is, she didn't want the rug, but I DID!
Okay, she didn't buy it--but I came "this close."

Vicarious living through others gives one the sense of buying with actually purchasing anything. You just don't clutter up your home with a bunch of unneeded "new things."
I went home greatly satisfied for having "bought" all this stuff, and she went home with honest-to-goodness, great-looking new things to put in her closet. It's a win-win situation!

18 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

you are BADDDDDDDDDDD.........VERY BADDDDDDDDDDDDD.

but at least it saves your pocket book. do you think any of your friends have caught on yet?

Sep 28, 2006, 8:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I think they're having a great time buying things they might not have bought due to being "sensible."

I'm actually doing them a service. :)

Sep 28, 2006, 9:10:00 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

they should pay you for this service.

pay for the items in the store...pay for Zed's services...what an expensive trip.

Sep 28, 2006, 9:26:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

I'm a good friend too, "The Fab." Just don't ask to borrow any money right now.

Sep 28, 2006, 9:50:00 PM  
Blogger Zed said...

Hugs to my friend the Fab!

Sep 28, 2006, 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do not, under any circumstances, ask me to go shopping with you. i can't afford your taste. haha!

Sep 28, 2006, 11:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are friends for??

Sep 29, 2006, 1:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL yep that's a great way of saving money and satisfying the urge to shop at the same time. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom losing her home in the hurricane and how rough it was on all of you getting her sorted out again.

BTW I have photos of Fab partying it up at the Emmy's on my site- come see.

Sep 29, 2006, 4:23:00 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

I have a friend like you and hubby just dreads it when I spend any time with her because something will be bought.

Sep 29, 2006, 5:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mixednut--EXACTLY!!

Tricia--I'm going to check out photos of Fab on your site. See you in a few!

Mel--I promise I'll take it easy on you if we ever shop. We could go to Target, another of my favorite stores!

shelli-- ... OR mel and I can pick you up for a trip to Target (oh the fun we can have!) Yippee! :)

Sep 29, 2006, 9:38:00 AM  
Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

Yeah, Fancy Zed, I'm not so likely to invite you to my next trip to the Mall of America.

We'll go instead to someplace that doesn't require money... like the beach!

Sep 29, 2006, 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Okay--you're on, Doctor Mom. Or you can go with us to Target. Shelli, Mel, Tricia and I are going.

Even if you buy there, you won't spend a lot! Come join us!

Sep 29, 2006, 10:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want to go to target too. can we leave at 2:30? I have work before that. please?? target is my most favorite store ever.

Sep 29, 2006, 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Zed said...

Sure, Jane. Come join Shelli, Mel, Tricia, and possibly Doctor Mom. I promise not to push you into buying anything.

Teri, want to come with us?

Sep 29, 2006, 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

absolutely!

Sep 29, 2006, 11:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy, we can go shopping! Want to go with me and Teri, Tricia, Mel, Shelli, and Doctor Mom? We're leaving in about 15-30 minutes. I promise not to push you into buying--I got my thrill yesterday!

Sep 29, 2006, 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger Doctor Mom™ said...

OK-- SuperTarget it is!

I need some milk too. We can go after we vote tonight...

OH, yeah (shameless plug) don't forget to vote in cul-de-sac, we have a few doozies up for nomination this week!

Sep 29, 2006, 5:13:00 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

LOVE TARGET!!!! woohoooooooooooooooo!

Sep 30, 2006, 9:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home